The Stellenbosch Gymnasium, forerunner of the University of Stellenbosch, was opened with ceremony in a large house in Dorp Street. This was achieved on initiative of Proff. John Murray and N.J. Hofmeyr, and the Rev. J.H. Neethling. The institution aimed to give instruction in subjects necessary for ''refined education'' and to prepare young men for studies at the Theological Seminary of the Dutch Reformed Church. Out of the Gymnasium the "Arts Department" was established in 1874, becoming the Stellenbosch College in 1881. In 1887, following the separation of secondary and tertiary functions, the institution became known as the Victoria College, named after Queen Victoria. The College achieved university status in 1918 and was renamed the University of Stellenbosch.