Pin it
April 16, 2014 | Last Updated 2:53 PM
Loading
Image Loading


Subscribe to newsletters

 
 
MOBILE RSS twitter facebook
North West
Mar 6 2013 6:17PM
 
Suspension a smear campaign: MEC
Murder-accused North West MEC China Dodovu. Picture: Gallo Images
print
divider
mail
divider
Bookmarkl and ShareShare
divider
share
 
Rate This Story close
|

Murder-accused North West MEC China Dodovu claimed on Wednesday a smear campaign was being conducted against him.

"My arrest can only point to an unholy alliance between some ANC leaders, the police and the prosecution," he told reporters in Johannesburg following his suspension from the ANC's provincial executive committee.

The ANC in the North West dismissed Dodovu's claims as "baseless and devoid of any truth".

Dodovu, local government and traditional affairs MEC, was released on bail of R20,000 on Tuesday after his arrest in connection with the murder of ANC regional secretary Obuti Chika.

Chika, 33, was shot in the driveway of his Klerksdorp home on December 14. He died in a local hospital.

Eight people, including Dodovu, were arrested in connection with the crime.

He said on Wednesday: "I am informed that those who suspended me claim to have done so informed by the ANC Mangaung national conference resolutions."

The resolution states that urgent action will be taken against any ANC public officials or leaders facing damaging allegations of improper conduct.

At the conference last year, the NEC was instructed to constitute an Integrity Committee as well as draw up a booklet with a code of conduct.

This was meant to be circulated to all branches within the first quarter of 2013.

Dodovu said the NEC had not finalised the guidelines and the Integrity Committee as envisaged in the resolution.

"It is therefore safe to assume that the action taken against me is not in line with said resolution, but is a hatchet job that is justified by a deliberate distortion of a resolution that is well-intended, but is now savaged by factionalists masquerading as custodians of morality."

He said several officials had been suspended or dismissed in the North West since the party's elective conference in Mangaung last year.

"We see eliminations every day... it started with ANC provincial secretary Kabelo Mataboge, he was suspended, and now it's me," he said.

Mataboge was suspended in December 2012.

Dodovu said the past two weeks in particular had been stressful for him as well his family.

"I have been subjected to malicious rumours and serious threats that ultimately culminated in my incarceration for more than a week," said Dodovu.

He said he had not been formally told of his suspension and had only learnt of it through the media.

"We only hear from media that we are suspended from the organisation, we don't know whether it's the membership or our participation," Dodovu said.

"I intend to contest the summary suspension and denial of right of response."

Paul Sebegoe has since been appointed acting MEC for Local Government and Traditional Affairs in the North West.

Dodovu and his co-accused were scheduled to appear in court again in April.

The other accused are: North West provincial ANC Youth League chairman Papiki Baboile, ward secretary Paul Molomonyane, councillor Itumeleng Molebatsi, municipal worker William Malefo, taxi driver Kgotso Kali, and community members Sihlangu Sekhakhane and Jeffrey Letuka.

North West ANC spokesman Kenny Marolong said: "If he [Dodovu] has issues of discontent, we expect him to approach the ANC."

He rejected claims by Dodovu that some leaders were plotting his demise.

"The ANC will not dignify his rantings with a response; we will also reject a notion that the ANC was involved in a plot to get him arrested."

Marolong said the party would allow the courts to administer justice for Chika's murder.

-Sapa

|
print
divider
mail
divider
Bookmarkl and ShareShare
divider
share
 
 
Comment Now
 
 
Close

Name:*   

Email:*   

Comment: *


 
Close Name:

Email:  

Subject:

Description:
               

 
 
http://www.dmma.co.za/ sudoku