FED UP: Ikageleng residents have vowed not to move until they are given new land or RDP houses. Picture: THABO RANTLHA
Ikageleng residents in Zeerust vowed to stay on a piece of land they were ordered to vacate despite a court order obtained by the Ramotshere-Moiloa local municipality to vacate the area by today.
Ikageleng development forum chairperson Obakeng Moseki said they would not adhere to the court order, which they received on March 22, until the municipality provided them with land that was suitable for them to live on.
"We are going to court on Thursday when the municipality has to apply an eviction order," said Moseki.
"We are waiting to see what will happen because the municipality has not communicated with us since we met in court last month.
"They identified a piece of land for us to settle on but it is a flooded area. We will move out of here when we get proper land that has been assessed by the town planner," he said.
About 120 shacks have been built in the informal settlement since the residents settled on the land almost three months ago.
"We encourage the residents not to panic. Our lawyer instilled hope in us and approached the municipality to identify a suitable place and build RDP houses for us.
"Other residents don't mind building their own houses but the issue here is the land," added Moseki.
He said the Ngaka Modiri Molema district municipality had sent a team of inspectors who discovered the new area was not suitable for occupation. Moseki said they were fed up after their battle for housing began 18 years ago with the then Zeerust town council and carried on under the present municipality.
He said all the mayors over the years – including Patrick Mafora, Sophy Lebeko-Ratlhagane, Moji Pilane and incumbent Africa Thale were unhelpful.
Thale recently said: "We are still looking for land to build 100 RDP houses from our budget.
"Our interventions are under way with the department of human settlements to make funds available to build 300 more houses to fulfil our promise to build 400 houses."
Attempts to reach municipal spokesperson Belinda Seabi for comment were unsuccessful.