Pin it
December 29, 2014 | Last Updated 6:04 PM
Loading
Image Loading

Subscribe to newsletters

 
 
MOBILE RSS twitter facebook
Provinces
Jun 20 2011 12:12PM
 
print
divider
mail
divider
Bookmarkl and ShareShare
divider
share
 
Rate This Story close
|

Uthimna Khen

More than R1m has been allocated to assist thousands of victims of the floods in the Northern Cape.

The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) set aside a total of R1065240 for victims of the floods in December and January in parts of the Frances Baard and Siyanda districts that were declared disaster areas.

Sassa’s provincial spokesperson, Neo Motswenyane, said 2829 , applicants who had been approved had received a once-off payment of R3240 a family this month. Victims of the recent floods in the Richie and Vergenoeg would also be assisted.

“We will be rolling money out to the affected families. Our officials have identified these families and we are acting on that,’’ he said.

Motswenyane was unable to confirm the exact number of victims in these areas where there have been rumblings of dissatisfaction at the slow pace of compensation from the government. He said officials were still busy compiling a database.

He said all Sassa offices were able to assist people with their applications.

“There is an influx of people and increased number of enquiries at most of our local offices.

“All applications received will be processed and, if applicants meet the qualifying criteria, relief in the form of food parcels or food vouchers will be issued,’’ he said.

|
print
divider
mail
divider
Bookmarkl and ShareShare
divider
share
 
 
Comment Now
 
 
Close

Name:*   

Email:*   

Comment: *


 
Close Name:

Email:  

Subject:

Description:
               

 
 
http://www.dmma.co.za/ sudoku